Tuesday, November 1, 2011

November 2011 Enewsletter

http://www.winesdownsouth.com
A THANKSGIVING HOMECOMING

It’s homecoming Down South. Even if just for a day, Thanksgiving has a sacred place in America. Families gather for the feast, often at some difficulty, but what does time and miles matter on this day of reunion? The hugs, laughter, tears of joy are genuine preludes to the biggest of all feasts. The dishes featuring traditional roast turkey, all those vegetables, casseroles and magnificent desserts generate aromas that blend perfectly with all the love and goodwill.

We are generous people who don’t forget those who are alone for whatever reason. There’s room for them and their presence only adds to the spirit of this special day.

Thanksgiving is truly ours. A sacred affirmation of sharing with family and friends. It is America at her best.

This is year one of the four year Civil War Sesquicentennial. Doc Lawrence has already covered many events, commemorations and dedications in Georgia, Virginia, Kentucky, North Carolina and Tennessee and a growing number of his original stories are posted in our online magazine (click). For Thanksgiving, here is an eloquent prayer of gratitude that was found in the jacket of a dead Southern soldier during the Civil War:

 
I asked God for strength,
that I might achieve,
I was made weak,
that I might learn humbly to obey.
I asked God for health,
that I might do greater things,
I was given infirmity,
that I might do better things.
I asked for riches,
that I might be happy,
I was given poverty,
that I might be wise.
I asked for power,
that I might have the praise of men,
 I was given weakness,
that I might feel the need of God.
I asked for all things,
that I might enjoy life,
I was given life,
that I might enjoy all things.
I got nothing that I asked for -
but everything I had hoped for.
Almost despite myself,
my unspoken prayers were answered.
I am among men, most richly blessed.

 
Enjoy the exceptional persimmon-based dessert recipes and the three outstanding Southern wines Doc Lawrence selected for the All-American Thanksgiving feast. Also, we’ve included the video about some of Georgia’s highly acclaimed wineries. All you have to do is click on the announcement to the right.

The great festivals gear up for the ensuing holidays, always a special time for us here at WDS. Click on our special sections from Festivals to Dining with Doc and you’ll find something special.  Even better, contact us (click) for recommendations including wines that pair with even the most esoteric foods.

We invite you to visit our award-winning magazine and learn more about the South we all love.

HAPPY THANKSGIVING!
Winegrowers Association of Georgia
Click for video





College football's legendary Coach Johnny Majors (on right) serves as a judge alongside our Doc Lawrence each year at the most prestigious of them all, the Jack Daniel's World Championship International Barbecue Competition at Lynchburg, Tennessee.




DOC'S WINE SELECTIONS
FOR THANKSGIVING DINNER
CAVENDER CREEK (Georgia)
Estate Norton
From its origins in Virginia to North Georgia, this all-American grape produces fruit forward wine with flavors of plum and black pepper.
 
CRANE CREEK (Georgia)
TRAMINETTE
Produced from the grape Traminette, a cross of the northern European grape Gewurztraminer and the 1860s French-American hybrid Seyval Blanc. This dry white wine is crisp with hint of fruit and beautiful floral nose. A match with all fish, turkey and particularly oyster dressing..
 
BILTMORE ESTATE (North Carolina)
   Blanc de Noir







NOVEMBER'S RECIPE
Persimmon Pudding and Persimmon Fruit Cake Courtesy of Bethel Baptist Church, Statesville, North Carolina
Click Here for your copy!
                                               

No comments:

Post a Comment